**This page will be updated with information as it becomes available**
Last update: 6.30am, 27 March 2020
The evolving situation with COVID-19 (novel coronavirus) has led to the cancellation or postponement of a number of upcoming pipe band and piping-related events.
Pipe Bands Queensland’s Executive Committee is currently assessing each upcoming contest on a risk management basis, consulting other promoters, heeding official public health advice, and will provide an update on all future contests shortly.
Events that are confirmed as cancelled or postponed will be listed below as information becomes available.
- The Australian Pipe Band Championships have been postponed to 10–11 April 2021 (from 4–5 April 2020). Read the release from Pipe Bands Australia.
- The inaugural 1770 Challenge Cup has been cancelled along with the 1770 festival for 2020. At the moment, the organisers are looking at rebooking the event for Saturday 15 May 2021.
- Pipe Bands Queensland has issued a statement on the cancellation of the current schedule of events for the 2020 pipe band season.
- The Gathering, which was the event on 24 May at the Ipswich Turf Club that hosts the Queensland Pipe Band Championships and Jimmy Durham Trophy solo event, has now been postponed indefinitely. More info to come.
- The International Piping Recital featuring Canadian piper Glenn Brown that was scheduled for March 28 has been cancelled.
- RSL Queensland has cancelled all ANZAC Day services for 2020 (25 April).
- The South Brisbane Band Contest that was due to be held on 22 March has been postponed until later in the year – date to be confirmed; more information to follow.
- The Maclean Highland Gathering, due to be held over the Easter long weekend (10–11 April), has been cancelled. Read the announcement from the organisers on the event page.
- The BBC Pipe Band Competition and Highland Gathering has been postponed to 19 September (from 29 March) – all fees paid will be applied to this later date unless bands wish to seek a refund. If so, please contact us.