116th Maclean Highland Gathering
The Maclean Highland Gathering has been held at the Maclean Showgrounds in northern New South Wales, on the beautiful banks of the Clarence River, for more than a century.
It is one of the largest gatherings of pipers, drummers, bands, dancers, and highland athletes in Australia, held on the Easter long weekend every year, and a key competition on the South East Queensland and northern New South Wales pipe band calendar.
View the whole weekend’s program.
Friday 2 April
• 12–5pm, Maclean Showground: Listen to the stirring sounds of the pipes and drums in a variety of solo competition events. Gold coin donation for entry; tickets available at gate on the day.
• 6pm–late: Venues to be advised: Hear top class ‘A’ grade pipers at their best. A piping evening of piobaireachds, MSRs, Hornpipes and Jigs. Gold coin donation for entry; tickets available at door on the night.
• 7.15pm: Ceilidh on the street: Enjoy all the colour and excitement of a ‘Scottish Ceilidh’. An evening of bands, entertainment, singing and dancing. Gold coin donation
Saturday 3 April
• 8.30am: Street Parade in Maclean.
• 9am–5pm: Showground competition events for bands, dancers, and highland games athletes: See Highland dancers in action, watch athletes do battle in highland games, and soak in the awesome sound of pipe bands as they compete across four grades during the day, culminating in a massed band at around 4pm. Many Celtic vendors will be on site selling food, drinks and Scottish and Celtic wares… and of course, a beer tent.
• 5pm–late: the party usually carries over to the town at night, with many players, athletes and dancers frequenting establishments around town to celebrate the day’s wins, losses, and good times.
INFORMATION FOR BANDS AND SOLOISTS
• Check the program for relevant events, then enter using the forms on the event website by 5 March.
• Solos will be held on Friday 2 April and Band street parade, grade competitions and massed bands will be held on Saturday 3 April.
• Bands and drum majors enter by emailing forms to email@example.com and soloists (pipes and drums) enter by emailing forms to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Draw to follow closer to the event.